· Pie Contest, Colonial Food and Spirits, Period Music and Tri-Corner hats...Come celebrate Battle Week at the Old Stone House and Washington Park at 5th Ave and 3rd Street.
On Aug. 25, 2013 starting at 10 a.m., Green-Wood Cemetery will host a day of free commemoration ceremonies, trolley tours and 18th-century living. Parades, cannon fire, horse rides, re-enactments, historic cooking and living history events and activities will offer kids a real feel for life during the American Revolution.
At 10 a.m., join author and historian Barnet Schecter and Green-Wood historian Jeff Richman for a trolley tour of Green-Wood and Revolutionary War-related sites. $25 for members of Green-Wood/$30 for nonmembers.
At 12:30 p.m., meet soldiers, their horses and famous colonial Americans for free. Then, at 1:30 p.m., grab a flag, wave it high and march in a parade to Battle Hill with the the Regimental Band of the United States Merchant Marine Academy. The parade will begin at the main gate and is free.
At 2 p.m., honor the spirit and heroes of the Battle of Brooklyn during a free commemorative ceremony on Battle Hill, overlooking New York Harbor.
· Sean Casey Animal Rescue will be at Love Thy Pet 164 Union Street (between Hicks and Henry) Saturday from noon to 5 p.m.
· Celebrate the thrill of the hunt with two madcap comedies and a real scavenger hunt. Join Freddy’s Bar & Back Room for a scavenger hunt between films along with trivia, prizes and happy hour specials.
· At what other market can you do all your food shopping, sample local wine, and take walk in Prospect Park? The Grand Army Plaza Greenmarket begins at 8:30 a.m. Saturday.
· The 14th annual Soul of Brooklyn Week continues through Aug. 25, featuring concerts, film screenings, plays, festivals, workshops, art exhibits and more-- all celebrating African Diasporan arts and culture while promoting partnerships between local arts organizations and businesses in Brooklyn.
· Check out BrownstoneJAZZ at 107 Macon St bet Marcy and Nostrand Ave as Pucci Amanda Jhones performs.
· Fall is almost here, so clear out your closets and come out for a clothing swap on Aug. 24 on the basement level of the Macon Library.