Brooklyn residents spoke out on Monday night against developers' plans for high-rise luxury condos and a hotel at Brooklyn Bridge Park, according to the New York Post.
Seven of the city’s biggest developers, including Robert A. Levine, Toll Brothers, Two Trees Management and Extell Development, unveiled their plans for 180 condo units and a 225-room hotel on the waterfront, according to the report.
The plan to build private housing and a hotel is the latest bid to fund the renovations of the park, which have been remodeled and re-opened in sections. Last December, offering up alternatives for funding, such as seasonal recreation, vendor payments or a small tax on local residents.
"By creating housing as a revenue generating model, what it does is privatize the park,” said Council Member Steve Levin last year.
The second public hearing in December, though, who enjoyed use of the park, and believed that without the proper funding, maintenance and the continued renovations could not continue.
"The city should take care of its own parks. But that is not going to be done,” said Ray Levin of Brooklyn Heights, last year.
At Monday’s meeting, the Post reported that according to officials, construction on the high-rise buildings and hotel would begin in 2013 and be finished by 2015.