A false bomb threat was called in to a Carroll Gardens elementary school Thursday morning, according to multiple reports. But the principal and staff swiftly responded to the prank, executing an evacuation under the guise of a fire drill.
Parents began reporting and tweeting that a "terse" e-mail had been sent out from administrators around midday, stating that PS 58, The Carroll School, had to evacuate students. NYPD emergency services were then brought in to investigate the building with the help of sanitation staff.
According to the The South Brooklyn Post, the prankster called twice: Once to threaten the school, and the second time to admit it was a hoax. After a thorough sweep, the threat was confirmed to be a prank and children were allowed back in the building.
"We are diligently investigating the incident," said Police Captain Jeffrey Schiff of the 76th Precinct. "It was likely a child who made the prank calls. We are confident that we will identify the prankster."
The school principal and staff handled the incident excellently, added Schiff.
"The school evacuation was done under the pretense of a fire drill in order to facilitate the quick and safe removal of all the occupants, which was accomplished successfully," he said.
On Wednesday a bomb threat was also called in to Brooklyn Tech. Whether the two incidents are related has yet to be determined.
Stay with Patch for updates.