Despite the that left both men bloody and wounded, Mark Iacono and Benny Geritano are no longer facing jail time.
Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes's office announced on Tuesday the attempted murder charges that had been brought against both men in April would be dropped.
Neither Iacono, 43, or Geritano, 38, would testify in front of the grand jury, leaving officals with little option but to drop the charges.
Carroll Gardens residents were mostly dismayed by the news.
"Someone stabbed someone else and you drop the charges? I think that's kinda ridiculous," said Lisa Spanazo.
Maria Sanino, who has lived in the neighborhood since 1975, said she didn't feel safe with men like that on the street.
"God forbid that fight had happened in the pizzeria," she said.
Another lifelong resident, Marie Testaverde, thought giving the men a second chance to solve their personal problems was a good idea.
"This goes back a long time," she said. "If they can straighten it out, if they can squash it, then it's ok."
"But they can't start up again," she added. "It's time to grow up. They're not little kids."
Boone, another resident who wished to only be identified by his first name, said because the fight erupted over a personal matter, the men are not necessarily a threat to the community.
"This is fundamentally different than someone who commits random acts of violence," he said. "Though people can get caught in the crossfire."
Others were worried of the affect dropping the charges would have.
"I think it sets the wrong example," said Spanazo. "It's too bad."
Boone said the knife fight also painted a negative picture of the neighborhood.
"[It] made people think it's not safe in Carroll Gardens," he said.