1. Donate or sign up to volunteer. Waterfront communities in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island are still recovering from Sandy. To learn ways you can get involved, check out our updated list.
2. Try something new. After months of testing recipes, Lola BKLYN has relaunched its menu with a host of new offerings including Duck Poutine and Magipeeler's Stewed Rabbit. Sounds tempting to us. 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Mon- Fri. 387 Myrtle Avenue.
3. Launch your teen rockstar on a path to stardom. Got a musical kid between the ages of 11 and 17? Register him or her for the 2013 Free Spirits Songwriting Workshop for Teens, where they will learn memorable melodies, catchy hooks, the form of a song, and how to record a demo. Session begins Tuesday, Jan. 8. The eight-week workshop will be offered at the discounted price of $350 through December 15.
4. Suss out your Thanksgiving sides. At most homes across the country this Thursday, dinner will include turkey. But... what else? If you're still scrambling for side dish ideas, check out our Meatless Monday column for a slew of recipes that can easily be translated for the Thanksgiving table: butternut squash soup, butternut squash hand pies, luxe mac and cheese, spinach and cheese strata, and more.
5. Move the car. Yes. Alternate side parking rules are in effect (excluding areas still recovering from Sandy). The next suspension is Thanksgiving.