1. Learn basic math. The Cobble Hill Think Tank is offering *free* math lessons for those ages 7 to 97 this Saturday, Jan. 12 at 1:00 p.m. Topics can vary from multiplication to division, fractions, percents, probability, algebra and geometry. Pick one and just show up. Parents are welcome too.
2. Keep track of important dates and appointments. Need a calendar? Download this colorful one from the Prospect Park Alliance for free!
3. Start salivating. EaterNY released an "Early Word" roundup of reviews about recently opened bakery-restaurant Runner & Stone in Gowanus. Read our profile here.
4. Get to know your local police department. The January community council meeting will take place tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the 76th Precinct, located at 191 Union Street. There, Officer Billy Gomez will be honored as 'Cop of the Month' for his heroic work during a recent arrest and Captain Jeffrey Schiff will relay the latest stats on crime around the neighborhood.
5. Move it or lose it. Alternate side parking rules are in effect today.