Welcome to Carroll Gardens Patch's weekly column in the spirit of the Meatless Monday initiative, which promotes going without meat one day a week to reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity.
Here we share favorite recipes submitted by neighbors and local restaurants in which vegetables are the main attraction.
This colorful bowl of Soba Noodles with Crispy Tofu was submitted by Allison Tray of . It's light, sweet, spicy and summery.
1 package extra firm tofu
Hot chili oil
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
3 stalks scallions
1 bunch cilantro
1 package soba noodles
Grape seed oil for frying
1. Dry tofu and cut into thin strips. Place in bowl with chili oil and sesame oil. Marinate, stir occasionally.
2. Chop tomatoes, scallions, and cilantro, add to big bowl. Drizzle in chili oil, sesame oil and soy sauce to taste.
3. Boil soba noodles for about 4-5 minutes, drain into colander and rinse with cold water.
Meanwhile, Pour some grape seed oil in a frying pan and crisp up your tofu.
4. Add noodles to your big bowl of veggies and stir. You might want to add more oil and soy sauce.
5. Place in large bowl and top with tofu. Voila!
Do you have a recipe you'd like to share with your neighbors? Send it our way! E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org