Welcome to Meatless Monday, a column in the spirit of the Meatless Monday initiative, which promotes going without meat one day a week to reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity.
Here we'll share favorite recipes in which vegetables are the main attraction. Today's healthy recipe is a sweet meatless treat:
Great Crunchy Granola
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried apples
- Soy Milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In large bowl, combine nuts, seeds, oats, nuts and seeds.
- Heat maple syrup, oil, honey, cinnamon and vanilla in small saucepan until warm, 2-3 minutes. Stir. Pour over oat mixture. Stir until evenly coated.
- Coat large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- On cookie sheet, spread granola evenly to cover pan.
- Place in oven. Bake 5 minutes then take out of oven and stir. Return to oven to bake another 5 minutes and stir again. Repeat one more time for total cooking time of 15 minutes.
- Cool granola in pan. It will get crisp.
- Will keep in airtight container 1-2 weeks.
- Serve with soy milk.